Marriage proposal on the Mortirolo

London based couple Dave & Vikki travelled with us to the 100th Giro on our Bergamo and the Italian Alps trip. Dave proposed to Vikki at the top of “Europe’s hardest climb” – the Mortirolo pass.  Find out why and more importantly if she said yes!

 Q: Was it a surprise Vikki? And why Dave, did you chose to propose on what Lance Armstrong called the hardest climb he had ever ridden?

Vikki: “It was a complete surprise, completely unexpected. About a third of the way up I had a mechanical which had previously rendered me unable to cycle. Dave was extremely frustrated, uncharacteristically so. I now understand why 🙂 But we managed to fix the bike and after a couple of falls trying to get back on (its so blinking steep) we continued. At the top he throws an Ocado bag at me saying he has a present for me. I thought he was asking me to carry some of his stuff for him given him being a bit tired from the climb but upon opening the bag I discovered a tell-tale small square box. I said yes! You will have to ask Dave why the Mortirolo Pass however we did discuss whether we might be the first couple to get engaged at the top of this pass. I like to think so :)”

Dave: “I wanted to propose somewhere slightly different, where it would be completely unexpected and the top of one of the hardest climbs in Europe seemed to fit the bill, I deliberately went for the hardest side and this nearly backfired with the mechanical and traffic.  I am little slower than Vikki on the hills so I had to work pretty hard to get to the top before she was ready to come down again….fortunately there weren’t too many people around and Vikki said yes.”
Dave&vikki_2
Q: How did you both get into cycling? 

Vikki: I got into cycling late, about seven years ago. I cycled as a teenager but more to escape on my own for hours at a time. I think I got into spin for fitness and this led me to sign up to cycle with a local bike club and I fell in love with the sport. Have since done a few of the classics and we now look forward to an annual biking holiday.

Dave: I‘ve always loved cycling as a method of relaxing, but have taken more seriously since 2004 as part of Duathlons, Sportive’s and Ironman’s around the world.

Q: Was this your first Grand Tour trip? How did you rate the trip and Sports Tours International?

Vikki: My first, Dave’s second. I loved the trip – we normally go a lot more hard core, averaging 150-200km per day over 4 or 5 consecutive days with climbing so this was a real holiday in comparison. I absolutely loved the incorporation of the Giro and its accessibility. Everyone was so friendly and normal, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Dave: I have been lucky enough to visit the Giro and the Tour with Sports Tours International, as well as several other training trips.  I thought Sports Tours International got the Giro trip absolutely right – the finish of the Queen stage being in the car park of the hotel was pretty cool…

Q: Are you planning to incorporate cycling into your Wedding or Honeymoon?

Vikki : Almost definitely no 🙂 We will be going somewhere warm and sandy, but will try and run every day.

Dave: Well maybe a quick ride round the island…

Dave&Vikki_straight

The post Marriage proposal on the Mortirolo appeared first on Sports Tours.



from Sports Tours http://ift.tt/2sISH5D
via IFTTT

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Holidays Fit For Heroes – Results Announcement

Reykjavik Marathon – An Odyssey