It’s Clean Air Day today

ABOUT CLEAN AIR DAY
Air pollution is real and harms the health of millions. But there are lots of simple things we can do to improve air quality and look after our own and other people’s health.

Clean Air Day is a chance to find out more about air pollution, share information with friends and colleagues, and help make the air cleaner and healthier for everyone.

 

Living on the outskirts of Manchester and working in Salford, which is two of the worst places for air quality in the UK, I’m all for Clean Air Day. I’m also an advocate, as I cycle to work most days and often experience lungs full of black smoke from badly maintained diesel engines (although research suggests that pollution inside the car is even worse than outside ). So anything that promotes behaviour changes to reduce pollution, get people active and improve our lives, we’ll do our best here at Sports Tours International to raise awareness.

After a terrible wet and cold winter for commuting by bicycle, the recent warm/dry spell has been fantastic. I’ve not needed to clean my bikes for 4 weeks, although I’ve had to order more bib shorts as I’ve not been able to wash/dry them fast enough.

STrava

This morning’s commute #cleanairday

So leaving the car at home today is one way that you can contribute to Clean Air Day. Commuting by bicycle really is the answer to lots of our modern problems (read the Miracle pill here), but getting people to actually choose a slightly less convenient option is very difficult! The main reason I ride to work is that I hate driving. I feel my life is being wasted sitting in a metal box, when I could be doing something else; especially when that something else (riding my bike) allows me to eat what I like most days. I appreciate that most car commuters accept this and many even enjoy their time in their “own space”, but I’m sure thats because they’ve never experienced the freedom, fun and health benefits of riding a bicycle.

IMG_1647_crop_600high     IMG_1651_crop_600high

Still lots of traffic around Manchester on Clean Air Day.

 

IMG_1649_600high

Happy I’m in front of the Lorry rather than by it’s exhaust

The post It’s Clean Air Day today appeared first on Sports Tours.



from Sports Tours https://ift.tt/2tpZeRK
via IFTTT

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Holidays Fit For Heroes – Results Announcement

Reykjavik Marathon – An Odyssey